Ex-South Korean President Justifies Martial Law Move After Conviction
"My judgment and decision to declare martial law on Dec. 3 was solely for the country and the people," Yoon said in a statement released by his legal team. "While it was a decision to save the nation, I deeply apologize to the people for making you experience much despair and suffering due to my shortcomings."
Yoon received a life sentence on Thursday after being convicted of leading an insurrection linked to his martial law bid. The Seoul Central District Court described him as an "insurrection ringleader."
"It is difficult to accept the logic that troops going to the National Assembly amounted to insurrection," Yoon said in his statement.
He had been indicted in January 2025 for declaring martial law, which lasted roughly six hours before being overturned. At the time, Yoon framed the move as a protective measure for the state, alleging the need to "root out anti-state forces" and accusing the election commission of interference, though no evidence was provided.
Yoon is now the first sitting South Korean president in history to be detained and convicted.
Legal Disclaimer:
MENAFN provides the
information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We do not accept
any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images,
videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information
contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright
issues related to this article, kindly contact the provider above.
Legal Disclaimer:
EIN Presswire provides this news content "as is" without warranty of any kind. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licenses, completeness, legality, or reliability of the information contained in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, kindly contact the author above.